Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Cure for the Hungry Groundhog Blues






I 'm so grateful to my friend Marta for installing a deer fence all around her garden. And that she really is a neighbor. I could actually walk to her house in under an hour if necessary. These are important facts to consider these days.
At home there are bunnies nibbling Pamela's beloved athyrium ferns. Deer are rubbing themselves against one of the new willows and wreaking havoc to their lovely shapes. We won't even mention what Petunia has been up to except that he now greets visitors as they pull into our driveway.
So can you blame me for inviting myself and my camera over to M's when she let's it drop that the Nigella (Love-in-a-Mist) are blooming?
Here are just of few of her the blooms currently in her garden. No reason why only the bees, birds and butterflies should have the privilege of such views. In order of appearance: Bee Balm, Love-in-a-Mist closed, Love-in-a-Mist unfurled, Nicotiana (... and a blue-nosed watering can... sighted in a previous visit. Very lovely too.)

2 comments:

Barbee' said...

Isn't Nigella the most enjoyable plant?! In every stage it is pretty from the earliest little sprout of ferny foliage, throughout all the different stages to the interesting brown seed pods.

Julia Erickson said...

I live in Chatham too! I hate the groundhog--you have to get rid of it. I found that the Cayenne pepper that I used to keep away the rabbits also keeps the groundhog away.